AFROXANDER (IVAN FERNANDEZ)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, @afroxander
The curly-haired link between the art, cultures, entertainment, history, politics, and sports of the English-speaking and Spanish-speaking lands of the Western hemisphere (and Spain too!).
Universidad de Valladolid, 2011 (summer program)
International Course I-B2.1, July 2011
California State University San Bernardino, 1999 – 2004
BA in Communications
Public Relations/Social Media Specialist, Fut Mex Nation(08/2015 – )
- Features writer, photographer, public relations associate, and social media coordinator for sports site focused on all aspects of Mexican soccer.
Contributing Writer, MTV Iggy (02/2015 – 11/2015)
- Features & Reviews contributor for MTV sister site “focused on bringing cutting-edge global music and pop-culture to the U.S.”
Contributing Writer, Gamecrate (06/2014 – )
- Features & Reviews contributor for electronic gaming website.
Contributor, Pop Insomniacs (08/2013 – 12/2013)
- Arts, Entertainment, & Video Game contributor for online pop culture magazine.
Columnist, VOXXI (03/2013 – 09/2014)
- Arts, Entertainment, & Sports contributor for online Latino news magazine.
Contributing Writer/Photographer, Remezcla (04/2011 – 09/2016)
- Features/Reviews writer, interviewer and photographer for Latin Alternative music/culture magazine.
- Interview many influential Spanish-language artists and translate the interviews to English for a US audience.
- Interviews include Rodrigo Sanchez of Rodrigo y Gabriela, Grammy nominees La Vida Boheme, Leo Mintek of Outernational, Canyon Cody of Nacional Records/Subsuelo, author Mark Ocegueda, Edgar Kerri of The Zombie Kids, Juan LaTorre of Vetusta Morla.
- Covered events such as Neon Desert, Make Music Pasadena, BMI’s Otoño Alternativo, Latin Grammys Nomination Conference, Silverlake Jubilee, others.
Contributing Writer/Photographer, LA Weekly (01/2010 – )
- Features writer, interviewer and photographer for arts/culture magazine based in Los Angeles.
- Broke a number of important developments in the Latin music world including Ximena Sariñana’s English-language debut, Mucho Wednesday’s move to The Echo, one of the first English-language interviews with Teri Gender Bender of Le Butcherettes, interviewed Los Abandoned about their one-time only Halloween/Day of the Dead reunion show.
Public Relations Associate, Song Placements (08/2008 – 01/2010)
- Wrote/proofread/copyedited all business correspondence including client biographies, press releases, company e-mails, etc.
Contributing Writer/Photographer, The Rockit Magazine (10/2006 – 09/2007)
- Features/Reviews writer, interviewer and photographer for monthly, independent music newspaper based in Los Angeles.
- Broke the story on the debuts of Cansei De Ser Sexy, Bonde Do Role, and Justice in Los Angeles.
Screenplay Reader/Public Relations Associate, Fiesta Studios (10/2004 – 09/2007)
- Analyzed the content (plot, characters, pacing, etc.) of film screenplays for possible production
- Wrote/proofread/copyedited all business correspondence for TV producer Jon Mercedes III
Contributing Writer/Photographer, Being There Magazine (11/2004 – 06/2005)
- Features/Reviews writer, interviewer and photographer for independent arts & culture online magazine.
- Covered the second annual FYF, then known as the Fuck Yeah Festival, in Echo Park.
Arts & Entertainment Editor, The Coyote Chronicle (09/2003 – 06/2004)
- Managed all aspects in the set-up and creation of the Arts & Entertainment section of CSUSB’s student-run newspaper, including page/photo layout and copyediting. Assigned stories to staff writers.
Staff Writer/Photographer, The Coyote Chronicle (09/2002 – 09/2003)
- Features/Reviews writer, interviewer and photographer for the Arts & Entertainment section of CSUSB’s student-run newspaper.
On-Air Radio Personality, Coyote Radio (09/2000 – 12/2003)
- Hosted a two-hour long, weekly broadcast at CSUSB’s campus radio station.
- Interviewed local talent, such as musicians, artists, amateur wrestlers and others.
Columnist, The San Bernardino County Sun (06/2001 – 09/2004)
- Wrote a monthly column focused on movies, music, and electronic entertainment for a young adult audience.